ORIGINAL METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER STUDIOS EAST MAIN ENTRANCE SIGN (1924-1986)
* This Item is no longer available
This sign adorned MGM Studios' east main entrance from 1924-1986. It was driven (or walked-under) by every Golden Hollywood name during that time on heir way to work, and removed in 1986 to reflect their post acquisition with Larimar-Telepictures (Larimar's sign was later removed to reflect Sony Pictures' acquisition).
It was purchased in 1993 by a collector at Bruckers Warehouse, and found in a box labeled "MGM Sign." Sadly, was crammed with so many other Hollywood relics, no one knew it was there (including the owners from what we understand), and easily could've been lost forever.
Bruckers warehouse was an 80,000 square-foot space packed with some of the finest original Hollywood studio pieces, and created such a fire hazard went intentionally without electricity. The public was allowed to shop inside with flashlights, but since movie props were not considered valuable then, were sold for pennies in comparison to today's thriving prop-market. Some of the items inside included personal cars once owned by Judy Garland and Elvis Presley.
Letter "M" measures 25.5 inches in height x 18 inches in width
Individual Letter Weight: Approx. 15 lbs.
Approximate Overall Weight: 255 lbs.
Sheet metal with thin-grate steel crimped to the back, and holes on both sides for hanging purposes.
Please note, we truly value this historical piece of Culver City as priceless, but in consideration of the 22 years spent storing it, keeping it safe, and the positive publicity included with it, respectfully our asking price starts at $25,000 (or best offer with the most appropriate party).
We want to emphasize we are taking responsibility in handling the sale of this amazing treasure, and absolutely understand the value of it to everyone, and want to see it go to an appropriate party, and someplace where people can appreciate it.
If you would like to make a serious offer, contact Rob Feeney at 763-412-0771.